Father brutally stabbed to death in front yard by son who left trail of bloody footprints

AUSTIN, TX – A grim discovery was made by the Austin Police Department (APD) when responding to a reported stabbing on Windrift Way. Upon arrival at the scene on July 1, just before 6 p.m., officers followed a trail of bloody footprints leading into a residential home, which led to the apprehension of a suspect in a brutal homicide case.

Police discovered 22-year-old Hayden Lerond inside the home, lying on the floor with blood on his knees. The blood-stained footprints extended from the body of Lerond’s 51-year-old father in the front yard, through the garage, and into the living room. Emergency medical teams were called to the house, but despite their efforts, the elder Lerond, who sustained numerous stab wounds, including a deep cut to his neck, was pronounced dead at the scene.

APD officers found Lerond’s father showing signs of a violent attack, including at least seven chest wounds and a jugular vein laceration from an 8-inch cut. The injuries were of such severity that multiple ribs had been fractured. Witnesses reported hearing cries for help and claims of being stabbed from the residence on the night of the incident.

Initially refusing to answer questions, police detained Hayden Lerond, and he now faces a charge of first-degree murder. He is currently held at the Travis County Correctional Complex on a $200,000 bond. Court documents indicate that Lerond has been assigned legal representation and has requested to be considered indigent. His next court appearance is scheduled for August 5.

Neighbors recall the horrific scene, reporting the victim twitching from the attack as his son stood over him. The motive behind the slaying remains unclear, as Lerond has not provided a statement concerning the events leading to his father’s death.

The Austin Fire Department and Austin-Travis County EMS responded to the emergency call. They arrived at the scene to find the victim showing no signs of life. Official time of death was declared 26 minutes after the first call was made to police.

The investigation is ongoing, and further details are expected to be revealed pending court proceedings and ongoing police work.