Arizona man allegedly strangled girlfriend as her mom watched on FaceTime

A mother saw part of the attack on a video call before driving to the apartment, police say.

TUCSON, Ariz. — A 30-year-old Arizona man is jailed on a $150,000 bond after police said he strangled his girlfriend more than once, including during a FaceTime call in which her mother saw part of the attack.

Jesus Arturo Guerrero-Martinez faces two domestic violence aggravated assault counts, along with kidnapping and aggravated assault with a simulated weapon, according to authorities in Pima County. The case now turns on a reported apartment confrontation, the victim’s account, her mother’s statement to police, a search warrant and claims made in court about earlier violence between the same two people.

The incident began with a dispute over a laptop, police said in an interim complaint described by local news outlets. The woman told investigators she had the laptop because she wanted to watch a movie. She returned it because she wanted to avoid a fight, police said. Authorities said the argument did not end there. As she walked back toward the living room, Guerrero-Martinez allegedly grabbed her by the throat and pulled her into a bedroom. Police said he then threw her on a bed, got on top of her and used his hands and forearm to strangle her again.

During that second alleged assault, the woman was able to place a FaceTime call to her mother, police said. The mother later told investigators that she saw Guerrero-Martinez strangling her daughter on the screen. After seeing that, she drove to the apartment, according to police. The woman also told investigators that Guerrero-Martinez hit her in the face several times. Police have not publicly released the mother’s name or the name of the woman, and the complaint does not say how long the video call lasted. It also was not clear from the reported complaint whether investigators recovered or reviewed any recording from the call.

The woman eventually got out of the bedroom after trying to free herself, police said. When she escaped, Guerrero-Martinez allegedly pulled out what she believed was a gun and threatened her. Investigators later said the object was not a firearm. Police said a search warrant found a metal flashlight that they described as a simulated weapon. That detail became part of the aggravated assault with a simulated weapon count. Police said Guerrero-Martinez denied the woman’s account during the investigation, telling authorities the incident she described did not happen.

The arrest came April 30, when members of the Tucson Police Department took Guerrero-Martinez into custody. He appeared in court later that night. At the hearing, a prosecutor raised concerns that went beyond the single apartment incident. The prosecutor said Guerrero-Martinez “has previously tried to kill the victim, has previously threatened to kill the victim, and has previously strangled the victim.” The record described in the hearing did not include a full public account of those earlier claims. Guerrero-Martinez did not give his own detailed statement in court, according to the reported hearing account, while his attorney spoke on his behalf.

The charges place the case in Pima County’s criminal court system, where the early stage is focused on detention, bond and the formal path of the prosecution. Aggravated assault allegations involving strangulation can be treated as serious domestic violence cases because police and prosecutors often view pressure to the neck as a sign of high risk. In this case, authorities also allege a restraint of movement through the kidnapping count and a threat involving an object the victim believed was a gun. The final charging decisions, any indictment and future hearing dates will determine how the case moves forward.

The case also highlights how video calls can become part of a criminal investigation even when they are not planned as evidence. Police said the woman called her mother while the alleged assault was happening, and the mother’s response placed another witness near the scene. Investigators have not said whether the mother arrived before police or what she saw after reaching the apartment. They also have not publicly released the apartment address, the victim’s medical condition or whether photos of injuries were included in the case file. Those details could later appear in court filings, testimony or police reports.

The next steps are expected to include additional court filings, review of the complaint and any evidence gathered through the search warrant. Guerrero-Martinez remained at the Pima County Adult Detention Center on the reported $150,000 bond. He is presumed innocent unless convicted.

Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.