Minnesota parents accused of leaving autistic daughter zipped in death bed all day

Prosecutors say 10-year-old Cecilia Cross was left unattended for hours before she was found dead in a broken enclosure bed.

PINE RIVER, Minn. — A Minnesota couple now faces second-degree murder charges after authorities said their 10-year-old daughter with autism died when a broken safety bed frame pinned her neck at their Pine River home last summer.

The upgraded case against Heather Lynn Cross, 50, and Darcy Ronald Cross, 57, turns a child neglect prosecution into a more serious homicide case. Prosecutors say the parents unintentionally caused Cecilia Cross’ death while committing child neglect and endangerment. The couple had already been charged with manslaughter after the Aug. 25, 2025, death.

The amended charges place the focus on what investigators say happened before deputies reached the County Road 1 home around 4:30 p.m. that day. One parent called authorities and reported that the child “had been crushed by her bed,” according to the probable cause account. Heather Cross was performing CPR when officers arrived, but responders soon noticed Cecilia’s legs were stiff and that she appeared to be in rigor mortis. Investigators said that condition suggested she had been dead for several hours. They also noted deep marks across the child’s neck. Darcy Cross later told investigators he found Cecilia on her mattress with her head pinned under the metal frame of the bed and her body raised in a position he compared to a child’s pose in yoga.

Police said the bed was not a standard bed. It was a specialized safety bed with a canopy and frame, used for children who need close support at night. Investigators said Cecilia and her older sister, who also has autism, were zipped into those beds so they could not get out. Heather Cross told deputies Cecilia was nonverbal, had pica disorder and sometimes ate nonfood items, including trim and sheetrock. She also described her daughter as an “escape artist.” Authorities said those explanations did not answer the central question in the case, which is why the child was left alone for so long in a bed that police say was broken and unsafe.

According to investigators, Heather Cross said she gave Cecilia milk and medicine sometime between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. and then went back to sleep. Police said neither parent checked on the children until about 4:30 p.m., when Cecilia was found unresponsive. The complaint says investigators believe the “extremely high-needs” child was sometimes left alone for 10 to 12 hours without supervision. Authorities also said the room had an overpowering smell of feces and urine. Feces was on the floor, walls and bed canopy, and the room contained no furniture other than the safety bed, according to the affidavit. Heather Cross told investigators that the room’s condition was normal for Cecilia, whom she described as a “fecal painter.”

The structure of the bed became a key piece of evidence. Detectives said the canopy frame was detached and appeared to have been in that condition for some time. The metal parts that were supposed to hold the canopy in place were not properly secured, investigators said. In earlier charging documents, authorities said the four vertical metal poles were loose within the bed frame and provided no safety. A bed technician told investigators the condition suggested the posts had been broken for some time. Police also said the manufacturer had offered help with repairs, but the parents declined. The defense position on those allegations was not clear from the public reports.

The new murder charges were filed along with four counts of wrongfully obtaining assistance by false statements, concealment or impersonation. Prosecutors allege Heather and Darcy Cross collected more than $5,000 in assistance for Cecilia and her sister under false pretenses. The fraud counts are tied to the surviving daughter’s care through the MnCHOICES program, which is used in Minnesota to assess eligibility for long-term support services. According to the amended complaint, the sister’s daily functioning in protective custody was “significantly different than the behaviors reported” by the parents. Prosecutors say the alleged overreporting led to payments that exceeded $20,000 per year from 2022 through 2025.

The criminal case also includes the parents’ alleged treatment of Cecilia’s older sister. Investigators returned to the home days after Cecilia’s death and found the sister confined in her safety bed during the middle of the day, according to police. Authorities said experts told investigators the beds could be used for sleep at night, but children should be out during the day. A social services worker later confronted Heather Cross about the use of the bed enclosure, and investigators said Cross became angry during that exchange. On Sept. 17, authorities took custody of the surviving daughter. Heather and Darcy Cross were arrested the next day, nearly a month after Cecilia’s death.

The case is now moving through Crow Wing County District Court with both the original and upgraded allegations still part of the record. The parents are accused of second-degree murder, manslaughter, child neglect-related offenses and assistance fraud. Public reports did not show whether the couple had entered pleas to all upgraded charges or whether attorneys had issued statements on their behalf. An omnibus hearing is scheduled for Aug. 3. The hearing is expected to address evidence, motions and the next stage of the prosecution.

The home on County Road 1, about 150 miles northwest of Minneapolis, remains the center of the case. Investigators say Cecilia was found only after hours had passed, inside equipment meant to protect her during sleep. The surviving child remains outside the parents’ custody as the criminal case continues.

Author note: Last updated May 22, 2026.