Mistrial Declared in Karen Read Murder Trial After 26 Hours of Deadlocked Jury Deliberation – What Happens Next?

CANTON, Massachusetts — A mistrial was declared in Karen Read’s murder trial after jurors failed to reach a verdict despite more than 26 hours of deliberation. The case, which attracted significant national attention, saw Judge Beverly J. Cannone calling a mistrial. Following the decision, Norfolk County District Attorney Michael Morrissey’s office announced its intention to retry Read, accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police officer John O’Keefe, in 2022.

Jurors sent notes to Judge Cannone, indicating they were hopelessly deadlocked, first on Friday and again on Monday. The judge then provided instructions to try to break the deadlock, but the jury remained at an impasse with differing perspectives on the evidence. Ultimately, the jury declared that continuing to deliberate would be futile as it would force them to compromise their deeply held beliefs.

Amidst the intense courtroom drama, O’Keefe’s family showed dismay while Read smiled and hugged her family and supporters. Prosecutors announced plans to retry Read, expressing gratitude to O’Keefe’s family for seeking justice. The highly publicized trial, which began in April, captivated onlookers as they grappled with conflicting narratives about the volatile relationship between Read and O’Keefe.

Throughout the trial, supporters of Read, dressed in pink shirts and holding signs that read “Free Karen Read,” clashed with detractors, resulting in tense confrontations outside the courthouse. The proceedings also saw the removal of a local blogger known as “Turtleboy” to prevent any influence on witness testimony. The case, described as a whodunit mystery, raised doubts and generated widespread speculation among true-crime enthusiasts and conspiracy theorists.

The prosecution and defense presented differing accounts of the events that occurred on the night of O’Keefe’s death. Prosecutors alleged that Read struck O’Keefe with her car after a heated argument, while the defense argued that O’Keefe was attacked and staged to look like he had been hit by a vehicle. Central to the prosecution’s case were testimonies from first responders and damaging revelations from the FBI probe, indicating that O’Keefe’s injuries did not align with a vehicular strike.

As the trial progressed, tensions flared both inside and outside the courtroom, adding to the intrigue surrounding the case. Read, who did not testify during the trial, dismissed the accusations against her, emphasizing the lack of evidence supporting the claims. The conclusion of the trial marked the beginning of a new chapter for O’Keefe’s family, offering them the opportunity to grieve in peace after enduring the rigors of a highly publicized legal battle.