Ohio Father killed infant daughter after crying fit cops say

Prosecutors say the Milford infant died after a pattern of abuse that investigators traced through home video, medical findings and court records.

BATAVIA, Ohio — An Ohio grand jury indicted a 30-year-old Milford father on murder and child-endangerment charges after prosecutors said his 4-month-old daughter died in December following weeks of alleged abuse.

Marcellaus Nekie Malone is accused of felony murder, involuntary manslaughter, domestic violence and seven counts of endangering children in a case that moved from an emergency call at an apartment to a formal indictment in April. Prosecutors said the infant’s death was not treated as a single unexplained medical emergency after investigators reviewed video, witness accounts and autopsy findings tied to how the child had been swaddled.

The case began Dec. 11, 2025, when Milford police and emergency medical workers were sent to Malone’s apartment for a report of an unresponsive baby. First responders tried lifesaving measures at the home and rushed the girl to a hospital, but she could not be revived. Prosecutors said the child’s mother had swaddled the baby properly earlier that night before Malone took her into another room and placed her in a bassinet. Malone was the last person known to have seen the infant alive, prosecutors said. The mother later called 911 to report that the baby was not breathing.

The first account given to emergency workers did not end the inquiry. Prosecutors said investigators later found signs that the infant’s death followed an escalating pattern inside the home. The abuse allegedly went back at least two months before the baby died. The central evidence, according to the prosecutor’s office, included video from the home that showed Malone threatening the child while she cried. Clermont County Assistant Prosecutor Nick Horton said in court that investigators found video of Malone telling the infant she was “going to be a dead baby” and saying he would throw her on the bed if she made him angry.

Authorities said the alleged punishment focused on crying. Malone is accused of swaddling the infant so tightly, including around her head, that she could not breathe and would pass out. Prosecutors said he told the child that if she wanted the swaddling to stop, she would have to stop crying. Investigators also alleged that Malone punched the baby in the face on at least one occasion because she was crying, leaving what prosecutors described as a significant bruise. Those allegations became part of the endangering children and domestic violence counts, along with the homicide charges tied to the infant’s death.

The autopsy became a key part of the charging decision. Prosecutors said the medical examiner found no other reason for the baby’s death and listed as a contributory cause a reported history of blocked breathing from swaddling of the body and head. The wording cited by prosecutors referred to occlusion of the nose and mouth. The finding did not stand alone, authorities said. It was considered with the statements, home video and timeline from the night the child died. Prosecutors have not released the baby’s name in public statements reviewed for this story.

Clermont County Prosecutor Mark J. Tekulve announced the indictment April 21, saying the grand jury returned one count of felony murder, one count of involuntary manslaughter, one count of domestic violence and seven counts of endangering children. Tekulve said the allegations involved violence against “our county’s most vulnerable.” He said, “Children are our most precious gifts. It is unthinkable that this innocent child could have been treated in such a callous and evil manner.” The prosecutor’s office said Malone could face life in prison if convicted on the charges.

Malone appeared in Clermont County court the day after the indictment and pleaded not guilty, according to court accounts cited by local and national reports. A judge set bond at $3 million after the hearing. Earlier reports listed a lower jail bond before the court appearance, but the later hearing set the active bond reported after arraignment. The mother has not been charged, according to a local report from the hearing. Prosecutors said in court that she was not present for that appearance and was pregnant again.

The case is being handled in Clermont County, east of Cincinnati, where Milford police were the responding agency. The apartment call in December was followed by months of investigative work before the grand jury vote in April. Officials have not publicly detailed every step of that investigation, including how many videos were reviewed, who recorded them or how investigators recovered them. They also have not said whether additional witnesses may be called if the case proceeds to trial. What they have said is that the evidence pointed to repeated conduct before the fatal night.

The allegations described by prosecutors place much of the case inside a small set of rooms: the apartment where the emergency call began, the room where the bassinet was placed and the courtroom where the details were read aloud months later. At the April hearing, prosecutors described the infant as particularly fussy on the night she died. They said the mother swaddled her correctly before Malone took over. That sequence, they said, made his final contact with the baby important to the murder charge and to the broader claim that the death was linked to repeated abuse.

The indictment also separated the alleged conduct into several legal theories. The murder count alleges the death occurred during conduct that prosecutors say amounted to a serious felony. The involuntary manslaughter count gives jurors another path to consider if the case reaches trial. The domestic violence count focuses on alleged harm to a family or household member, while the seven child-endangerment counts reflect repeated episodes prosecutors say put the infant at risk before she died. Prosecutors have not released the full indictment in the public summaries, but the charge list shows they plan to present the death as the end point of a pattern rather than as one isolated act.

The public record so far also leaves open whether child protective agencies had prior contact with the family, and no agency has announced such a history. Several facts remain unresolved in public records. Officials have not said exactly how long the baby was alone in the bassinet, whether the medical examiner assigned a final manner of death in the portions of the autopsy released publicly, or whether any defense expert will challenge the state’s view of the medical evidence. They have not identified the hospital where the child was pronounced dead. They also have not said whether the home video had audio throughout or whether any other adults were present during earlier alleged incidents. Those unanswered points are likely to shape pretrial filings as attorneys decide what evidence jurors may hear.

Malone remains a defendant, and the charges are allegations unless proven in court. His not guilty plea places the case on a path toward pretrial hearings, possible motions over video and medical evidence, and decisions about whether the case is resolved by plea or trial. Court records and later reports listed a next hearing in May after the April arraignment. Prosecutors have said the possible maximum sentence is life in prison if Malone is convicted.

Author note: Last updated May 17, 2026.