Pentagon Head Hospitalized Again as Deputy Takes Over: What Happened Next Will Shock You

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has been hospitalized for treatment for symptoms related to a potential bladder issue, according to the Pentagon. As a result, his duties have been transferred to Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks.

Austin was admitted to the critical care unit at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, with officials stating that it is unclear how long he will remain hospitalized. This development comes after Austin previously underwent treatment for prostate cancer in December, which required a procedure and an overnight stay at the same medical center.

The Pentagon’s rapid notification of Austin’s hospitalization is in contrast to the previous lack of transparency surrounding his health issues. His unannounced hospitalization had not been disclosed to the media or President Joe Biden for days, causing concern about transparency within the administration. As a result, Austin is scheduled to testify to the House Armed Services Committee about the failure to notify key government leaders about his health challenges.

During his first news conference since his hospitalization, Austin acknowledged his mishandling of the situation, stating, “We did not handle this right, and I did not handle this right. I should have told the president about my cancer diagnosis. I should have also told my team and the American public. And I take full responsibility. I apologize to my teammates and to the American people.”

The Office of the Secretary of Defense has completed a 30-day review of the notification procedures around a transfer of responsibilities. While much of the review is classified, the Pentagon has committed to being as transparent as possible about the review findings once it is complete.

Amid concerns about Austin’s health and the transparency surrounding it, the Pentagon aims to address these issues and provide the public with as much information as possible.